The State of New Mexico recognizes that preference shall be granted to United States Veterans, Disabled Veterans, National Guardsmen or residents of the state in accordance with eligibility requirements in accordance with provisions of NMSA 1978 Sections 10-1-13.2, 20-4-9 and 10-9-13. Preference points are applied to the application after document verification is completed.
To be entitled to preference, a United States Veteran must meet the eligibility requirements in accordance with the provisions of Section 10-1-13.2 and Section 20-4-9, NMSA 1978. This means that the veteran had:
- An honorable or general discharge from the United States Armed Forces.
- An honorable discharge with a service-connected disability from the United States Armed Forces.
- Currently serving in the National Guard.
When applying for New Mexico State government jobs, eligible veterans and/or National Guard members should respond to the statewide question. Applicants claiming preference must submit appropriate documentation with their application.
How is preference assessed and verified?
If you are a United States Veteran or a current National Guard member, you will be granted 5 points, which will be added to your final passing numerical scores on applications after documentation verification.
If you are a United States Disabled Veteran, you will be granted an additional 5 points, which will be added to your final passing numerical scores on applications after documentation verification.
Veteran, Disabled Veteran and National Guard Documentation Requirements:
For appropriate preference points to be given, an applicant must provide for following documentation:
- Veterans and Disabled Veteran Documentation: You must provide a copy of your DD 214 Form (Long Form) and/or your Disability Determination letter (if applicable) of at time of application.
- National Guard Preference: You must provide an official statement from applicable branch of the Armed Forces showing you are a current member of the National Guard, or a NGB 22 Form at the time of application.
If you have any questions or require additional information regarding eligibility, please contact New Mexico State Personnel Office at (505) 476-7759 or via email at Applicant.Support@state.nm.us.