New Mexico State Employee Benefits and Perks
The State of New Mexico offers employees competitive benefits and perks. Benefits include, comprehensive medical, dental, vision, pharmaceutical, Employee Assistance Program, basic and supplemental life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and disability benefits to enhance the lives of our employees and their qualified family members. Perks include, alternative work schedules (where possible), telework (where possible), free mental health counseling sessions, plus much more!
An overview of New Mexico State Employee Benefits and Perks can be found below. Visit the State of New Mexico’s Employee Benefits website for a comprehensive list of benefits.
Stay Well Health Center
Paid Annual Leave
Estate and Financial Planning Assistance
For detailed Medical Plan information visit: mybenefits.
Medical Plans Overview
Presbyterian (View the Presbyterian Member Guide):
- HMO plan with two tiers available
- Global travel health emergency assistance
- Online wellness tools
- Free access to Talkspace
- Fitness Program – Gym memberships for members and dependents at a significantly reduced cost: (View the Fitness Pass membership guide)
Blue Cross Blue Shield
- PPO or HMO options available
- 24//7 Nurseline
- COVID-19 Health and Wellness Tools
- Free Fitbit for Cigna members (View the Cigna Fitbit flyer)
- Cigna MotivateMe Program – Earn rewards for healthy behaviors
- Medical and Behavioral Virtual Care
- Lifestyle Management Programs
Express Scripts: (Click here to view Express Scripts Pharmacy Member Presentation)
Vision Benefits by EyeMed
Comprehensive eye exam every 12 months, covered with $10 copay, plus:
- $150 frame allowance every 24 months
- $15 lens copay plus fixed pricing on options, every 12 months
- $150 contact lens allowance, with coverage for fit and follow-up every 12 months
- Click to view EyeMed benefits flyer.
- Additional discounts on hearing exams and more: Click here for EyeMed Member Pillar Flyer
Delta Dental of New Mexico
Delta Dental PPO is a low cost option offering Delta Dental PPO Network dentists at the most discounted Maximum Approved Fees.
- No cost for diagnostic and preventative services
- No age limit for Orthodontic coverage
Paid Leave & Flexible Work Schedules
The State of New Mexico offers generous leave options including:
- Paid Annual Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Paid Personal Leave
- Paid Family Leave
- Paid Administrative Leave for Fitness and Wellness*
- Reasonable Accommodations Following Pregnancy
- Alternative Work Schedules (where possible)*
- Telework (where possible)
- Predictable Scheduling
*Available after initial one-year probationary period.
Life & Disability Insurance
Basic & Supplemental Life
- $50,000 of Basic Life/Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) provided for each employee by The Hartford: AD&D Flyer
- Supplemental benefits for employees and dependents are available.
Short-Term & Long-Term Disability Insurance
Short- term and long-term disability insurance protects your ability to earn a paycheck in the event that you experience a serious illness or injury. The State of New Mexico disability plans are administered by Erisa Administrative Services, Inc., the State of New Mexico’s Third Party Administrator. For more information, visit mybenefits.
Flexible Spending Accounts
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) allow you to automatically set aside money from each paycheck into an account that you can use to reimburse yourself for certain out-of-pocket costs including health, dependant care, and transportation expenses. You decide how much to put in an FSA and you aren’t taxed on this money.
Employee Assistance Program
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides the tools our employees need to live a healthier life, from counseling to interactive webinars.
- 24/7 resources and support: Well-Being Solutions Flyer
- 5 free counseling sessions
- Free training resources for personal and professional development
- Discounts on travel and entertainment
- Estate and financial planning assistance
- Discounted pet insurance
Stay Well Health Center
One of the most important benefits you receive as a state employee is membership in the Public Employees Retirement Association of New Mexico (PERA). Because PERA is a defined benefit plan, you are guaranteed life-long monthly benefits after retirement. Benefits are paid when certain age and service credit eligibility requirements are met, regardless of the amount of member contributions paid into the plan.
For more information visit the PERA website.
Voluntary Benefits offer additional coverage to help with life’s unexpected situations, offering peace of mind for you and your family.
Voluntary Benefits include supplemental accident, cancer, critical illness, life with long term care benefit, and whole life. Visit the Voluntary Benefits webpage to view this optional coverage.
Deferred Compensation Plan
State employees are eligible to participate in voluntary the PERA SmartSave Deferred Compensation Plan 457(b) Plan. SmartSave is a supplemental tax-deferred retirement savings plan, lowering your current taxable income. For more information on the PERA SmartSave visit the PERA website.
Are you a current state employee interested in opportunities within the State?