Why Work for New Mexico?
The State of New Mexico offers employees competitive benefits and perks. Benefits include, comprehensive medical, dental, vision, pharmaceutical, Employee Assistance Program, basic and supplemental life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and disability benefits to enhance the lives of our employees and their qualified family members.
An overview of New Mexico State Employee Benefits and Perks can be found below. Visit the State of New Mexico’s Employee Benefits website for a comprehensive detailed listing of benefits.
For detailed Medical Plan information visit: mybenefitsnm.
- View the Presbyterian Member Guide
- HMO plan with two tiers available
- Global travel health emergency assistance
- Online wellness tools
- Free access to Talkspace
- Fitness Program – Gym memberships for members and dependents at a significantly reduced cost
Blue Cross Blue Shield
- PPO or HMO options available
- 24/7 Nurseline
- COVID-19 Health and Wellness Tools
- View the Benefits Summary
- Free Fitbit for Cigna members (View the Cigna Fitbit flyer)
- Cigna MotivateMe Program – Earn rewards for healthy behaviors
- Medical and Behavioral Virtual Care
- Lifestyle Management Programs
Vision Benefits by EyeMed
Comprehensive eye exam every 12 months, covered with $10 copay, plus:
- $150 frame allowance every 24 months
- $15 lens copay plus fixed pricing on options, every 12 months
- $150 contact lens allowance, with coverage for fit and follow-up every 12 months
- Click to view EyeMed benefits flyer.
- Additional discounts on hearing exams and more: Click here for EyeMed Member Pillar Flyer
Delta Dental of New Mexico
Delta Dental PPO is a low cost option offering Delta Dental PPO Network dentists at the most discounted Maximum Approved Fees.
- No cost for diagnostic and preventative services
- No age limit for Orthodontic coverage
The State of New Mexico offers generous leave options including:
- Paid Annual Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Paid Personal Leave
- Paid Family Leave
- Paid Administrative Leave for Fitness and Wellness*
- Reasonable Accommodations Following Pregnancy
- Predictable Scheduling
*Available after initial one-year probationary period.
Training & Professional Development
The State Personnel Office Training and Development Bureau provides learning and development opportunities (both instructor-led and online) for State employees to help them grow and advance throughout their careers. From training courses on professional fundamentals to get you started off right, all the way to leadership development programs, State employees are provided with free learning and development to build competencies, perform at the highest level, and advance in State government. Learn more about training opportunities on the Training Webpage.
Life & Disability Insurance
Basic & Supplemental Life
- $50,000 of Basic Life/Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) provided for each employee by The Hartford: AD&D Flyer
- Supplemental benefits for employees and dependents are available.
Short-Term & Long-Term Disability Insurance
Short- term and long-term disability insurance protects your ability to earn a paycheck in the event that you experience a serious illness or injury. The State of New Mexico disability plans are administered by Erisa Administrative Services, Inc., the State of New Mexico’s Third Party Administrator. For more information, visit mybenefits.
Flexible Spending Accounts
Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) allow you to automatically set aside money from each paycheck into an account that you can use to reimburse yourself for certain out-of-pocket costs including health, dependant care, and transportation expenses. You decide how much to put in an FSA and you aren’t taxed on this money.
- Pre-tax medical flexible spending account: Flexible Spending Account Guide
- Pre-tax dependent care flexible spending account: Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account Guide
- Pre-tax transit and parking flexible spending account: Transit and Parking Guide
Employee Assistance Program
The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) provides the tools our employees need to live a healthier life, from counseling to interactive webinars.
- 24/7 resources and support: Well-Being Solutions Flyer
- 5 free counseling sessions
- Free training resources for personal and professional development
- Discounts on travel and entertainment
- Estate and financial planning assistance
- Discounted pet insurance
Stay Well Health Center
- High quality, no cost healthcare for employees enrolled in a SoNM Health Plan: mybenefits (mybenefitsnm.com)
- No cost medications if dispensed by Stay Well Health Center
One of the most important benefits you receive as a state employee is membership in the Public Employees Retirement Association of New Mexico (PERA). Because PERA is a defined benefit plan, you are guaranteed life-long monthly benefits after retirement. Benefits are paid when certain age and service credit eligibility requirements are met, regardless of the amount of member contributions paid into the plan.
For more information visit the PERA website.
Voluntary Benefits offer additional coverage to help with life’s unexpected situations, offering peace of mind for you and your family.
Voluntary Benefits include supplemental accident, cancer, critical illness, life with long term care benefit, and whole life. Visit the Voluntary Benefits webpage to view this optional coverage.
Deferred Compensation Plan
State employees are eligible to participate in voluntary the PERA SmartSave Deferred Compensation Plan 457(b) Plan. SmartSave is a supplemental tax-deferred retirement savings plan, lowering your current taxable income. For more information on the PERA SmartSave visit the PERA website.
Access Perks is an employee perk that helps you save more money in your daily life. This private savings network has deals at local and national restaurants, movie tickets, hotels and more!
Access Perks is available to all State Executive Branch Employees.
It’s easy to get started:
- Go to stateofnm.accessperks.com and enter your name and email address when prompted.
- You will also be asked for your member ID. Your Member ID is your Employee ID. You may find your Employee ID located on your paycheck. Need help finding your Employee ID? Click here.
- Create your password and you are all set! You can also go into your accounts settings to set your location preferences.
How to Use Your Access Perks
There are two easy ways to use your Access Perks. Visit the designated New Mexico employee website at stateofnm.accessperks.com, or redeem deals directly from your mobile device by downloading the Access Perks app through the Apple Store or Google Play.
After you register, you’ll be on your way to stretching your money further. Happy savings!